Screenplay writing is a rigorous craft. At best, it’s an art. Our Screenwriting Academy explores screenwriting elements of character, dialogue, scene, setting, texture, style and tone through an intensive workshop process. You will learn all the key elements of creating scripts for feature film and television such as including story structure, plot, scene development, characterization and dialogue. The Academy’s goal is to help you turn your stories into screenplays. Throughout your training, we will provide you with series of writing workshops and assignments that will guide you through mastering the basics and working on your scripts.
Feature Screenwriting Course (10 or 12 Weeks)
Those applying must submit a completed application and the following.
1) An original pilot script that captures the writer’s unique tone, style and point of view. Treatments alone will not be considered.
2) A spec script for a live-action cable, broadcast or streaming-service (e.g. Netflix, Amazon, etc…) series airing during the current television season. Applicants are encouraged to select a series that is well-established in at least its second season. The spec script should demonstrate the writer’s ability to adapt to an existing format while at the same time infusing a unique point of view and sensibility.
Material should tonally translate to any type of programming broadcast series currently running. All samples must be live-action content. Animation samples of any form are not accepted. We Do Not Accept Films, DVDs, or CDs. Manuscripts will not be returned. They will be recycled.
3) Completed application and signed release forms for each script.
4) Submissions should be presented with a résumé and a cover letter.
5) Letters of recommendation (optional) from entertainment industry professionals who have read the applicant’s material and can comment on the applicant’s ability. Letters from representation (e.g. agents, managers or attorneys) will not be accepted. Letters must be on letterhead and dated in the current calendar year. It is recommended that those signing recommendation letters include either a title or a brief introduction indicating their position or status. A maximum of two (2) recommendation letter(s) are strongly encouraged, but are not mandatory.
DO NOT USE STAPLES, PAPERCLIPS OR FOLDERS OF ANY TYPE WHEN SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS. Submission envelopes should only contain the above listed items.
Submissions received without elements 1-5 will be disqualified and destroyed.
WHEN TO APPLY
The annual submission period for our Writing Academy opens during the month of August. Specific dates vary year to year. Follow us on Facebook to receive updates and alerts about the submission period.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit this website during the submission period to obtain the application and instructions. The application is only available during the open submission period. Applications will not be accepted prior to the submission period opening date and submissions MUST be postmarked no later than 11:59 pm on the designated deadline date. You are not required to send your application via registered mail or through a courier service. Due to the high volume of submissions received, we are unable to confirm receipt of any application submitted.
Those accepted will be notified. Please check our Facebook page for announcements regarding individuals selected to join the Screenwriting Academy. Typically, selected program writers are announced in December.
At the end of the program, one participant will be selected for a paid internship in the writing room of a Bohemian Media Productions‘ series.